Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Kass Fraser – June 2015 BodyBlitz winner

Kass Fraser is our June 2015 BodyBlitz winner. Here, she shares her amazing weight loss story.

Kass Fraser- June BodyBlitz winner - PHOTO - Women's Health & Fitness

I first saw the BodyBlitz challenge while flicking through WH&F magazine in my doctor’s waiting room, awaiting my post-operative review and clearance. I had just had another surgery, my seventh reconstructive surgery to my lower organs in four years following life-threatening complications sustained with the delivery of my two children. I had an overwhelming thought of ‘I’m going to do that, that’s me’.

In 2010, at 139.8 kg four months after the delivery of my first child, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Having always been physically active prior to pregnancy, my inability to move independently affected my health in all areas of my life and my self-esteem suffered considerably. Finally I was given clearance from my doctor and my physio and I signed up to the challenge. I never anticipated how much this decision would affect my mindset. Being able to say I was challenging and training myself instead of going to rehab changed my life dramatically. I felt like I pushed so much harder in the gym, knowing I was training for life instead of more surgery.

The biggest thing I have learned on this challenge is that we are all on our own paths and the only person who needs to understand why I’m doing this is me. There is nothing that will beat the feeling I had when I put my bikini on for my photos and how I felt in it, knowing that this isn’t the last day of my challenge, but the first day of the rest of my life; this is me and for the first time in my life, I actually feel proud to be me.

On overcoming challenges:
I experienced overwhelming guilt for taking the time I needed each day to train, having to put the kids in crèche, training around the clock, close to three hours a day, and it took me until around week six to manage this better. I learned that I am actually a better mum for taking this time to improve my health, ensuring I’m a healthy mummy who can enjoy my children, and it turns out I have a lot more patience after training!

Before I started, I went to the local library and got as many WH&F magazines as I could find to see what other people had done on their challenges. I joined a heap of bodybuilding forums online and researched everything there is to know about lifting weights. The first few weeks were slow and the learning curve was pretty steep. I had to tweak a lot of the lifting techniques to make them pelvic-floor safe. I had to keep my physio happy by meeting my rehabilitation requirements, but also allowing myself to meet some personal strength gains too.

On workout motivation:
It sounds funny, but the muscle soreness was one of my big motivators! (Weirdo, I know.) Having been very sick for a very long time and unable to walk and move independently following my surgeries for extended rehab periods, I know how it feels to have this freedom taken away. To know exactly what my body had done in each training session to create the muscle fatigue and soreness I was experiencing during the challenge was so liberating.

I was definitely aesthetically driven too. I’d been ‘rehabbing’ for so long and exercising most days yet to look at me you’d assume I had a fast food addiction, which was definitely not the case! I wanted the outside to reflect how hard I’ve worked to regain my health internally.

Click ‘next’ to view her diet plan


Kass Fraser- Weight loss winner - BEFORE & AFTER SHOTS - Women's Health & Fitness

On food swaps:
I was forced to follow a very strict diet and rehabilitation program, both pre and post operatively, for the last four years. In this time I’ve tried everything from low carb, no carb, low GI, meal replacement shakes, etc., and they all had benefits, but with most of these diets came the mental anguish of missing out and feeling like I was on rations. I found myself constantly thinking of food, every waking moment of the day!

I also struggled with increasing my calorie intake through food and upping my carbs. It went against everything I understood about weight loss, but the more I trained, the more fuel my body needed and the more I had to eat. I can’t believe it’s taken me until my mid 30s to understand the concept of eating for nutrition and energy instead of eating not to get fat or fatter, which was my previous belief.

On treats:
When I had the odd treat I had Coles Simply Less dark chocolate or a Skinny Cow ice cream. But honestly, after the first month or so, I rarely craved sugar. It’s like I’ve magically turned the sweet switch off. I wasn’t counting the seconds to the next meal like I had experienced on  past diets.Throughout the challenge I had idealised the final day as my binge day to celebrate finishing the challenge, but it has rolled through, business as usual. I think this may be my biggest achievement to date as I’ve changed the way my brain works and it feels amazing.

On measurements:
Measurements are absolutely essential. When I looked at myself in the mirror I couldn’t really see my progress, and we all know the scales can lie depending on what time of day you sneak a peek. So for me the tape measure was my only real guide on how far I was coming. I did full-body measurements on waking up at the start of each week. I also took photos around halfway to see if there were changes, but I’d recommend taking your own personal photos weekly for self-motivation. I wish I had, as I wasn’t very good at celebrating my smaller milestones. I also kept a workout diary, as I was shocked how much my strength increased, especially at the start.

On goals:
In the start it was all about losing weight and having a great body, but once I started it was evident that I actually loved the way clean eating and hard training made me feel, and that became the life changer. It’s not until you experience how you feel when you eat clean and train hard and how efficient your body becomes that you have a comparison. I doubt many would give this feeling up; I know I can’t go back!

I have signed up to do another challenge, then I want to go back to study and do my diploma in remedial massage and my PT certificates, as I’d like to, one day, have my own fitness/rehab business, combining training and massage to achieve all levels of fitness goals. I feel I’ll be able to relate to my clients, as I’ve been full circle and experienced all the highs and lows weight loss, rehab and now training has to offer.

WHAT I DID
Monday
AM: Fasted cardio (30 min HIIT), weights (legs, biceps, triceps).
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)

Tuesday
AM: Fasted cardio (30 min HIIT), weights (back, chest, shoulders)
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)

Wednesday
AM: Fasted cardio (60–90 min moderate intensity)
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)

Thursday
AM: Fasted cardio (30 min HIIT), weights (legs, biceps, triceps)
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)

Friday
AM: Fasted cardio
(30 min HIIT), weights (back, chest, shoulders)
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)
Saturday
AM: Fasted Cardio
(60–90 min moderate intensity)
PM: Clinical Pilates (30 min reformer)
Sunday
Clinical Pilates
(45 min reformer)

WHAT I ATE:
Breakfast: 50g oats; protein powder, a tablespoon of Greek or natural yoghurt, ½ cup of berries; OR two to three eggs; one cup of vegetables; one slice of rye toast

Snack: Protein shake with water OR a small piece of fruit and eight almonds

Lunch: 100g protein (tuna, chicken, etc.), two cups green vegetables or salad, ½ cup grains and a wrap bread

Post workout: protein shake with milk (on weights days); protein shake with water (after cardio)

Dinner: 150g protein (fish, chicken, beef etc.), two cups low-starch vegetables or salad

Snack: Protein shake with water OR ½ cup berries with a tablespoon Greek or natural yoghurt.

{nomultithumb}


Read more …

from Women’s Health & Fitness Combined Feed http://bit.ly/1JSI7vT via Make My Boobs Grow
from Tumblr http://bit.ly/1KXBk3p

No comments:

Post a Comment